"And God spoke all these words, saying: I am the LORD your God…"
- Thou shall have no other gods before me.
- Thou shall not make for yourself a carved image.
- Thou shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
- Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
- Honor thy father and thy mother.
- Thou shall not kill.
- Thou shall not commit adultery.
- Thou shall not steal.
- Thou shall not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
- Thou shall not covet your neighbors wife, nor anything that is thy neighbors.
My problems with those commandments are as follows.
#1 #2: does that include Jesus, because a lot of people seem to worship him or the cross.
#4: Do you have to go to church? It just says remember it, not “Go to church”.
#5: But, do you have to obey them? What if their rules conflict, or are just plain dangerous?
#6: What about bugs? Cows? Rats? Self defense?
#7: So, if you aren’t married you can have sex with as many people as you want? I have no problem with that.
#10: Come on, you can’t not do this. Everyone wants something that someone else has, as long as you don’t break #6, #8 or #9 to get it, what is the harm?
I believe most of these are outdated or just plain ridiculous. Who, these days, carves images of gods or worships multiple gods? I have come up with my own rules to live by. I think they work better in these modern times.
The New 10 commandments.
- Do not kill another human. Do not kill animals except for food or survival, never for sport.
- Do not steal.
- Do not lie.
- Honor your family above all others.
- Do not judge your fellow man.
- Do not amass great wealth for yourself, share with those less fortunate.
- Treat others with respect & kindness.
- Do not have sexual or romantic relations with children.
- Do not force your religion or beliefs upon others.
- Obey the laws of man, when they do not conflict with these.